Course Series:Dental Assistants - Expanded Functions
Pursuant to IAC 650-Chapter 23, dentists may delegate expanded function duties to registered dental assistants if the assistant has completed board-approved training in the specific expanded function that will be delegated. To participate in the Expanded Function training a dental assistant must qualify based on one of the following:
Level 1 Expanded Functions
- Be a graduate of an ADA-accredited dental assistant program; or
- Be currently certified by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB); or
- Have at least one year of clinical practice as a registered dental assistant; or
- Have at least one year of clinical practice as a dental assistant in a state that does not require registration.
Click "Add to Cart" to register for all 3 days of training and receive a discount on the daily tuition cost.
- Taking occlusal registrations.
- Placement and removal of gingival retraction material.
- Fabrication, temporary cementation, and removal of provisional restorations.
- Applying cavity liners and bases; desensitizing agents; and bonding systems, to include the placement of orthodontic brackets, following the determination of location by the supervising dentist.
- Monitoring of patients receiving nitrous oxide inhalation analgesia, which may include increasing oxygen levels as needed, pursuant to the following:
- A dentist shall induce a patient and establish the maintenance level;
- A dental assistant may make adjustments that decrease the nitrous oxide concentration during the administration of nitrous oxide;
- A dental assistant may turn off the oxygen delivery at the completion of the dental procedure.
- Taking final impressions.
- Removal of adhesives using nonmotorized hand instrumentation.
- Placement of Class 1 temporary filling materials.
- Recementation of provisional restorations
To register for Day 1 only, please click here.
To register for Day 2 only, please click here.
To register for Day 3 only, please click here.
**Note: To update your status to include the new functions, you will need to take Day 1 (Fabrication, temporary cementation, and removal of provisional restorations) and the one-hour option on Day 3 (Placement of Class 1 temporary filling materials class.)