Iowa Western offers the Substitute Authorization course allowing an individual to substitute teach in a PK-12 institution for no more than five consecutive days in one job assignment. An individual who holds a paraeducator certificate and compeltes the substitute authorization program is authorized to substitute only in the special education classroom in which the individual paraeducator is employed.
A substitute authorization may be issued to an individual who:
- Has successfully completed all requirements of a Board of Educational Examiners approved substitute authorization program totalling a minimum of 15 clock hours.
- Has achieved one of the following:
- holds a baccalaureate degree from a regionally adccredited institution
- completed an approved paraeducator certification program and holds a paraeducator certificate
- Has attained a minimum age of 21 years
- Has successfully completed an Iowa division of criminal investigation and a cnational criminal history background check by the BOEE. The background check fee will be assessed to the applicant
There will be additional fees assessed at time of application to the Board of Educational Examiners.
The Substitute Authorization course is authorized as one credit of renewal for the Paraeducator Generalist Certification relicensure.