The AEMT course will provide the student with training for management of pre-hospital hemorrhage and shock with emphasiss on a comprehensive assessment. This course will also provide the student the opportunity to apply past and current cognitive knowledge and psychomotor skills in a supervised clinical or field setting.
This course is strong in developing an understanding of the Pathophysicology of the human body and pharmacology of selected medications. This course follows the Iowa Department of Public Health - Bureau of EMS's AEMT revised curriculum. This course will involve classroom, practical labs, and clinical field internship settings.
This course is excellent for providers in rural areas!
Textbook: (Not included in cost of tuition
"Advanced EMT, A Clinical Reasoning Approach"
Authors: Melissa Alexander and RIchard Belle
Published by: Pearson/Brandy Publishing 2012
You must provide Iowa Western Community College with the following documentation on/or before the first night of class:
- A copy of your current Iowa EMT (orEMT-B) certification.
- Documentation of having a TB test from your doctor/nurse/clinic (no older than 6 months).
- A copy of your American Heart Association or American Red Cross Healthcare Provider CPR card.
- Must hold current and active Iowa EMT Certification.
- Must be certified in American Heart Association or American Red Cross Healthcare Provider level CPR prior to applying and throughout course, provide a copy of the card prior to the first class session
- Must be at least 18 years old at time of enrollment.
- Must be proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
- Must be physically able to perform all functions of an AEMT.
- Must have written documentation of TB test (no older than 6 months).
- Must provide own stethoscope.
- Must submit to drug screening, physical and background checks.
Iowa Western Community College Paramedic program, on the Council Bluffs campus, is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org
) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educaiton Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkwayu Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088